Friday, April 20, 2012

Souvenir Friday- Pacific Ocean Park Postcards

Several of the original postcards for Pacific Ocean Park from when it opened. The cards are nice featuring artist renderings of the park and its lands. First up is a view of the entrance to the theme park.

An interesting area was the New England fishing village. This is the location of several food stands and restaurants.

A scarce view is this rendering of the Sea Circus showing the various performing pools.

My favorite ride is the Banana Train ride. This is an overall view of the ride, which once was the end of the pier. I wish that I could go back in time and experience this attraction.

8 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, I haven't seen some of these before. It's such a shame that POP didn't thrive; it started out so cool!

Anonymous said...

I have faint memories of the Banana Train ride. Being at the end of the pier gave it a thrilling atmosphere as you rode the train through caverns and out at the very tip with an open view of the ocean. Shocking to think that there isn't a trace of the pier today.

olddisneylandfan said...

Great images -- but I have to say that the reality was seedier than the concept art. I was pretty young when I visited, but remember POP as sort of creepy. The place felt "off" to me, like something wasn't quite right.

jedblau said...

I thought I had all of the POP cards, but that Sea Circus one in new to me. Thanks for posting it!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Jed-the Sea Circus postcard is found in a Santa Monica postcard folder...I believe that is the only way that image was published.

K. Martinez said...

Matterhorn1959 - thanks for the info. That explains why I don't have that image either. I'm pretty sure I have all the postcards as well, but no POP postcard folders.

Does anyone know if there's an official postcard checklist for POP?

Connie Moreno said...

I was very young and I too, remember it being creepy and dirty. Didn't like the carnival area at all.

outsidetheberm said...

Nice! Really like that Sea Circus card. Have never seen it before, either. Now, we'll be searching for the folder you mentioned.

Thanks, Patrick.