Thursday, April 10, 2014

Space Mountain Under Construction Part 5

Continuing with the photographs a cast member snapped of the Space Mountain attraction under construction. The first image shows the trucks hauling out the dirt and debris from the ride area. I am not sure where the photographer was standing, probably on the second floor of one of the administration or locker buildings.

Next image is taken from the Rocket Jets attraction and shows the construction from the Tomorrowland side. Note the great sign for the original sponsor of the Space Mountain attraction, McDonnel Douglas. The company had also sponsored the Rocket to the Moon when TWA left in 1961. I am digging the groovy artwork on the construction fence, very 1970s and I would think something like that would be painted on a van.

6 comments:

MRaymond said...

I found a picture in my stuff from a later part of the construction. The construction wall is gone and simple barriers are in place. They appear to be working on the speedramp that used to be in front. I figure the picture is from 78.

Great look into the construction of one of my favorites.

Cousin Orville said...

The pattern on the construction fence is reminiscent of the groovy pattern on the original entrance to WDW's Space Mountain. http://bit.ly/1eux603

K. Martinez said...

McDonnell Douglas sponsored Space Mountain? I never heard that one before.

I know RCA was the original sponsor of Space Mountain in Florida, but I remember Space Mountain in Anaheim not having a sponsor during it's early years of operation. Maybe I missed something.

Nanook said...

@ K. Martinez-

You're correct, McDonnell Douglas didn't sponsor Space Mountain. What you're seeing is the tip of the signage for Rocket to the Moon. Check this out...
http://davelandweb.com/moonliner/popup.htm?images/60s/CTPPI_126_RocketMoon.jpg

Matterhorn1959 said...

Nanook you are correct...that is what I get for posting cold without looking at my references. The sign is for the Flight to the Moon attraction (later changed to Mission to Mars attraction.) Thanks Nanook.

K. Martinez said...

@Nanook. I knew what the sign was for. I was just trying to give a subtle hint to Matterhorn that his information was incorrect.

I'll add that at the time these photos were taken (1976), the attraction under the McDonnell Douglas sign was neither "Rocket to the Moon" or "Flight to the Moon", but "Mission to Mars" which opened in Spring 1975. The color scheme also reflects that.